Skip navigation
NASA Logo, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Modeling Guru Banner
3507 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2008 11:39 AM by Robert Burns, III RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2008 10:23 PM

Collections of documents?

Tonight I tried to start a document that would contain all the materials from the Fortran series we are launching.   I'm still struggling with the best way to do this.   I can create a Wiki meta document which references a separate document for each presentation.   That's not so bad, but then I encountered the conflict between the desire to make pdf the default distribution and the desire to have ppt available for co-authors so that we can fix typos and make other corrections.   It would seem that I would need to create a separate document for each pdf and each ppt which gets to be a lot of documents.  (Half of which we don't want the users to see.)   I suppose I could create an internal wiki that just has all the ppt uploaded, but somehow I hope I'm missing a better option.

Ideas?

- Tom

• Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to Thomas Clune)
    Re: Collections of documents?

I agree that you should create a Wiki meta document which references a separate document for each presentation. But this document should only reference  or attach PDF docs.

To collaborate with PPT, I suggest you create separate PPT docs and then use the collaboration options at the bottom to list userIDs of those that must approve before it is published. Then only those on the approval list can see the doc until all have approved it. Each collaborator should be able to edit and save (upload) a new version before approving it, so the half-baked version isn't visible to the general public. Then convert the PPT to PDF before attaching to main Wiki doc. You can always delete the PPT version later, if you so choose.

Hope this helps.

• Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2008 11:39 AM (in response to Thomas Clune)
    Re: Collections of documents?

Hi Tom,

Organizationally, that exactly how I grouped the workflow resources.  It would help to also have a link to that resource easily visible on a community page so it doesn't get pushed down the discussion list. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points
USAGov logo NASA Logo - nasa.gov