Skip navigation
NASA Logo, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
208 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 20, 2019 6:04 PM by Carlos Cruz RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2019 9:42 PM

How to resolve met_em and lis4real_input landmask mistmatches

Hi All,

I've been running NUWRF with LIS-CABLE successfully for the CORDEX AUS44 domain covering Australia, New Zealand and the Maritime continent at 50km resolution. However, for a new project we would like to increase the resolution to 25km but still retain the size of the domain. We are using ERA-Interim as the boundary conditions.

While I have no issues for the offline spinup with LIS-CABLE when I start running coupled mode with NUWRF the simulation terminates within 30 timesteps of the initialisation.

I have been trying the usual tricks on trying to resolve the numerical instability by reducing the timestep and following the recommendations for the dynamics in the NUWRF documentation (diff_6th_opt). See attached namelist.input for details however none of these fixes resolved the model crash.

At the 25km resolution the coastlines are significantly more complex with more islands and inland lakes are now resolved that weren't at the 50km domain. I've followed the steps for the inland lake initialisation using the avg_tsfc.exe utility.

In the process of resolving the numerical instabilities, it looks like metgrid.exe doesn't use the LIS landmask from lis4real_input.d01.nc. However the LIS landmask is used when running real.exe. I think this creates problems for the specification of the skin temperatures in the wrfinput_d01 file and might contribute to the numerical instability of the run, particularly because where things blow up is always at a coastal land point near one of these landmask mistmatches between the met_em.d01.nc files and lis4real_input.d01.nc.

I've attached my configuration/namelist and METGRID.TBL files in the hope that someone may know of how I can ensure metgrid uses the LIS landmask or if there is something else that I may have done incorrectly in the setup.

Thanks in advance,

Annette

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points
USAGov logo NASA Logo - nasa.gov